Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Chicken Talk III: Whut??

Yesterday, while buying chicken feed, I was suckered in by a checkout line magazine called "Chickens." I was particularly attracted to the cover story: Twelve Common Ailments and How to Prevent Them. "Ooooh," I thought, for I am a nerd who must know more about chicken ailments.

I thought a magazine would be a more trustworthy source than the Internet. (Sorry, Internet.) But. I don't know about the cover story's veracity, but let's just say it is now open for debate. Because flipping through the rest of the magazine, I read the following dubious advice in an article about chicken chores:

"Making friends with your flock is easy, fun and serves a practical purpose as well: You'll find it easier to observe your chickens, to lure them into the coop at night and to catch them if they don't regard you as a predator."

Lure them into the coop at night?? This is so puzzling to me that I can't stop thinking about it. Chickens proverbially come home to roost. There exists a time-worn adage to that exact effect. The adage exists because once a chicken sleeps somewhere--like its coop--once or twice, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get it to sleep anywhere else. It's automatic.

So it makes me wonder: Is this article's author going out every night to lure her five chickens into their little coop? And does she ever notice that if she turns up late, they are already inside? And if so, is she pleased that she has trained them?

No comments: