Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chicken in the bathroom...part I

"Blue Chicken Taking a Bath"
Until now, I have resisted using chickens as a decorating motif. To me, nothing says, "Pretend You Live in the Country, by T.J. Maxx" like a rooster-themed kitchen. But it turns out that I like chickens (also I like T.J. Maxx), and I would not mind seeing them around me indoors.

At least they would be something: we have lived in this big old house for 2 1/2 years, and there are still some rooms with nothing on the walls. (We've been busy, ok?) The downstairs bathroom is one such room, and I decided it would be a good place for chickens. But not crummy kitchen-rooster chickens--AWESOME chickens! And where do we find awesome pictures of chickens? On Etsy! Click each picture's title to visit the reasonably-priced Etsy listing.

The artists on Etsy have created some incredible original chicken artwork for under $20 per art. ($20 was my limit because I am thinking of hanging many, many chicken pictures.) Here are my very most favorite chicken art prints:


The puzzling "Faith". This one is favorite, because of the surprise factor. Why is this chicken on a boat? And how can the storm-tossed hero seem so unperturbed? It must know the secret of being at peace: “Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.” I don't know how this chicken learned that, but I learned it from a refrigerator magnet.



The sweet "Her Favorite Chicken". Because I, too, have a favorite chicken.


Finally, remember my railings up top about chicken decor in the kitchen? Well, apparently I am both judgmental AND hypocritical, because this photo, "Mom's Kitchen", appeals to me greatly.

And those are my top four chicken prints for under $20--it was an agonizing decision process, let me tell you. See that ominous "Part I" above, though? That's because I'ma hit you with "Part II" real soon.

No comments: